SELECT PROJECT AWARDS:
- Grand Award, Structural Systems - Engineering Excellence Awards, American Council of Engineering Companies
- Winner, Most Innovative Structure - Excellence in Structural Engineering Design Competition, Structural Engineers Association of Illinois
- Grand Award, New Building Over $50 Million - Construction Excellence Awards, Associated General Contractors of Washington
- Grand Award - Building Team Project of the Year Awards, Building Design and Construction Magazine
- Platinum Award, Overall - Engineering Excellence Awards, American Council of Engineering Companies, Washington
67,000-seat open-air, design/build, football/soccer stadium, part of the largest sports complex in the world. The stadium is NFL and UEFA/FIFA compliant and features 70 percent of the seats protected by the roof. The long-span roof arches are protected from earthquake damage by four "friction pendulum" dampers in a first-of-its-kind large-scale roof application. Civil elements for the 14-hectare (35-acre) site include a new city street, complex interdisciplinary utility coordination, and 396 m (1,300 ft) of new public storm drains.
ARCHITECT: Ellerbe Becket (now AECOM), with LMN Architects