SELECT PROJECT AWARDS:
- Platinum Award, Overall - Engineering Excellence Awards (Expansion), American Council of Engineering Companies, Washington Chapter
- Honor Award, Buildings - Engineering Excellence Awards (Original Design), American Consulting Engineers Council
- Award of Merit - Honor Awards for Washington Architecture (Original Design), American Institute of Architects, Seattle Chapter
- Honor Award, Structural Systems - Engineering Excellence Awards (Expansion), American Council of Engineering Companies
- Merit Award, $100 Million or Greater - 2002 Engineering Awards of Excellence (Expansion), American Institute of Steel Construction
Five-level, 104,980-m² (1.13 million-ft²) convention facility and a later 9,755-m² (105,000-ft²) expansion with a signature glass entry canopy. The original convention center features the first use of specially designed trusses to create a "building-bridge" over a major freeway. The expansion houses space in “bridge structures” that span a city street to the original facility and rests on sliding bearings to isolate forces, thereby eliminating the need for seismically upgrading the original building.
ARCHITECT: TRA, with HNTB (Convention Center), LMN Architects (Expansion)